Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
Bill Cohane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Aug 2000 04:34:33 -0400
At 03:21 08/25/00, Mary Wolden wrote:
>Other places to look for programs that load at startup are the Win.ini,
>check the load and run lines, and the registry.  The keys to look for
>in the
>registry are:
>HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
>HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run-
>HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce
>HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx
>HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices
>HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices-
>HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServicesOnce

I'd like to add that there are two keys in the HKEY_CURRENT_USER
branch of the registry which should be examined. Items in
and
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce
will load at startup.

It should also be noted that the registry keys
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run-
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices-
and
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run-
contain items that were *removed* from the registry keys
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices
and
through use of Msconfig.exe.

In other words, the "run keys" that end with minus signs do not list
items that currently run at startup but instead indicate items that
no longer run at startup. Msconfig.exe puts entries in these keys
with minus signs to remember what items in the msconfig.exe "startup"
tab have had their check marks removed. Similarly, msconfig.exe moves
shortcuts from the Start Menu's "Startup" folder to its "Disabled startup
items" folder when you remove checkmarks from items that loaded due to
being in the Startup folder.

If you're running Win98, I'd suggest creating a shortcut to
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSCONFIG.EXE and putting it in your Start Menu or
Quick Launch toolbar for ease in modifying what items load at startup.

Regards,
Bill

                         PCSOFT's List Owner's:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>