Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Oct 2004 16:53:37 -0700
  While scan time goes up linearly with drive size (but comes back down with
enhancements in drive speed), a significant part of defrag time is time
spent writing a copy of data to a different drive location.  This is
minimized if the program can work out how to write the data once only, to
its final defragged location.
  As a drive gets full, it becomes harder and harder and ultimately
impossible to do that -- it becomes necessary to write data blocks to
temporary locations from which they will have to be moved *again* to
complete the process (sometimes more than once!).
  So, all ales being equal, a drive that is nearer to being full can take
longer to defrag than one with more free space.

  It will also generally take more work to defrag a drive, the more activity
has occurred since it was last done.  For most people this is proporational
to time that has gone by, although not at the same rate for all users.

Dave Gillett

                       http://freepctech.com/rode