Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
"g.Computer9f" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 1 Jun 2008 16:39:43 -0400
My personal preference is to allow AVAST to update virus definitions automatically, but to NOTIFY me when there is a program update available, due to the time each seems to take.  Neither take long, and if a program update is available, you certainly want to let it update as soon as possible, but occasionally I'm doing something that I don't want interrupted with a program download/install.  The virus defs just update a file, so they are super quick and no problem.

AnnaSummers

----- Original Message -----
From: Bob Lendrim
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Saturday, May 31, 2008 10:10 PM
Subject: Re: [PCSOFT] AVAST Anti-virus Program and Windows XP update

Hi Mike,
You have three options for updating Avast
Right click on the blue Avast (a) icon in the lower right tray.
Select "Program settings"
Then select "Update (Basic)". Your choices are:
1 Automatic
2 Ask when updates available
3 Manual
Make a choice for data updates & and for program updates.
Next select "Update (Connection)"
and tell it what type of internet connection you use.

I have a fairly fast cable connection so I allow Avast to update itself automatically. It updates frequently and quickly, and has never caused a problem for me. If you have a slow telephone connection, it may be better to update manually, at a time of your convenience.

The update options are the only ones I've changed.

If you don't disable it, Avast will provide some real-time protection. In addition, you can initiate scans for existing problems as often as you feel necessary.

>From: "Mike" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: [PCSOFT] AVAST Anti-virus Program and Windows XP update
>
>I would like some advice for using the Free AVAST Anti-virus program. I have
>always used AVG Free Anti-virus program and do not quite understand on how
>to use AVAST. AVG seemed on the most part, to update and scan itself at
>least once a day. AVAST confuses me. I am not very computer wise. I think I
>need a basic step-by-step lesson in using AVAST. I am hoping someone can
>help me.
>
>I changed to AVAST basically because I have read several times that is a
>good program plus the fact that the updated AVG version will not scan e-mail
>after thirty days.
>
>I use Windows XP, have all the updates -- except for Service Pack 3. I run
>three or more antispyware programs and Windows Defender, Ccleaner, and
>really try to maintain my computer the best that I can. I must add allof
>these are not purchased but are free programs.
>
>I would like to know how I should maintain my computer using AVAST. Do I
>have to update it and scan it manually on a daily basis? I want to be safe.
>I would rather be over safe than not.
>
>If I have any computer problems I am basically on my own and not quite sure
>of handling any computer issues when they happen. So far, I have been lucky
>since I haven't had anything I could not handle.I am learning, slowly but
>surely. I must add that I have learned a lot reading this list when time
>allows me.
>
>Also, I have read that there are problems with the Windows Service Pack 3
>update. I am very nervous about running it. Do I really need to run it being
>I keep Windows XP updated?
>
>Any advice on these issues will be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much.
>
>                Curious about the people moderating your
>                   messages? Visit our staff web site:
>                    http://freepctech.com/staff.shtml
>
>                Curious about the people moderating your
>                   messages? Visit our staff web site:
>                    http://freepctech.com/staff.shtml

                         PCSOFT's List Owner's:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>