Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

Date:
Mon, 6 Aug 2007 01:05:32 -0400
Original Message -----
From: "[log in to unmask]" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Sunday, August 05, 2007 4:55 PM
Subject: [PCSOFT] Word Processor help

Folks,
I bought my wife an Acer laptop, but it came without the Microsoft "Works" package with which I'm pretty familiar.  I need a word processor in the worst way.
Is "works", or Microsoft Word" a freebie, or do I have to buy a copy?  Can do, but if not necessary, it'd be better than "nice".  I've got horrendous medical expenses from my dear wife's (of 59 years) terminal illness yesterday and the hospitals and Drs. could use the money saved.
I'm not looking for sympathy here - just a bargain.  [I can't help but unload my grief (somewhere) as it just happened yesterday and I'm in absolute shock. Getting busy is what I'm told is the best medicine.]
Many thanks - from Lewis E.

$$$

Good Morning Lewis,

First, you have my heartfelt wishes for better days ahead and peace as you confront and deal with your wife's serious medical issues. To watch a loved one of any age gradually or suddenly be overcome by  grave medical problems is never easy and tests the mettle of the everyone involved, especially a spouse or partner; and to have this happen after almost six decades of marriage would make it all the more difficult

Now, to your questions:

I'm no expert on Microsoft Office products but I can tell you that MS Works includes a word processor that, while not the equal of MS Word in size or scope (...and to my way of thinking that's a bonus), is plenty capable and able to do what most users need it to do without complaint. Yo can create documents in Works that can be saved in many of the most popular word processiong formats. As a bonus, the 'Works Package' that came pre-installed on your new Acer laptop is likely version 8.x and fully licensed, meaning that it won't cost you an additional penny to use.

OTOH, the bad news is if you wish/need/want/desire/absolutley must have MS Word, you'll  have to pony up more $$$ to buy it either as a part of an MS Office package or as part of Microsoft Works Suite 2006. Sometimes a recent version of MS Office including Word is included with a new computer, but it is usually 60-day trialware that will require you pay the piper at the end of the trial period in order to continue using it.

A basic version of MS Office which includes Word, Excel and PowerPoint can usually be had for no more than $150, while Microsoft's Work's Suite 2006 which  includes MS Word can be purchased for around $80. Both these prices are suggested retail prices and substantial discounts can be had if one is a careful shopper using free online 'deal finder' websites such as Dealnews.com (which I recommend for its' ease-of-use, accuracy & timeliness).

You didn't ask but I'd like to suggest that you look into several freeware and open source word processors if you're not happy with the Works word processor and don't wish to purchase an MS Office or Works Suite package.

For a capable standalone word processor I recommend highly-regarded AbiWord 2.4 available both here http://www.abisource.com/ and here http://www.filehippo.com/download_abiword/?1812, while  if you want a completely free and well-developed total office package, look no further than OpenOffice 2.2.1 available here http://www.openoffice.org/ and also here http://www.filehippo.com/download_openoffice/. Countless thousands and likely millions of people around the world use AbiWord and OpenOffice, so you can bet they deliver the functionality users demand at a price everyone can afford.

HTH. Take care my friend, and please let us know how you make out. I am,

Very truly yours,
Jeffrey Ottie

eom

                     visit our download web page at: