Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
Mark Rode <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Feb 1998 18:39:42 -0800
Posted on behalf of  Eddie Apostol by Moderator Mark Rode

Hello everyone.

Now its my turn to put my hat into the foray.

I have two questions which I hope someone here can help me out.

Background:
My cousin's system is a Pentium II 300 mHz, 32 Meg SDRAM, 64 Bit SBAwe Sound
Card, ATI 3D Rage II+ 2 Meg vid card, 4.3 Gig FAT32 HD, and a PS/2 Mouse on
COM1. Win 95 rev.B OSR2, and a 56K modem which I will tell you about.  All
the latest greatest software drivers installed for all the cards.

1.  Previously, his system was constantly crashing  with invalid page faults
in USER.EXE, GDI.EXE, and his modem (though working) was connected to COM3
(which did not exist).  As well, When dialing up to the Internet using Dial
Up Networking, it said that DUN was missing some necessary files which had
to be reinstalled.  I attempted to remove and reinstall DUN, but to no
avail. (note:  my cousin was also using SPRYNet/Compuserve's custom dialer).
After discovering that these crashes were too frequent for any practical
work to be done, I decided to install Win 95 OSR 2 on his system again.

2.  I renamed the current windows directory win_old, and renamed the win.com
file to win.win so that OSR2 will not think it was installing over a current
installation (as per everyone's advice on this listserv).  The
reinstallation of Windows 95 was a success (incl. sound card and graphics
card), except for the following.

3.  The modem was detected, but no driver found.  I searched the Windows 95B
CD, and even attempted to set it up as COM 2, generic modem at 28.8K.  But
no connection could be made to the modem.

The modem is detected when the computer is powered up;  Award BIOS shows the
following:

Card 1:56000 D F TAM FDSP DSVD WinModem

Win 95b detects the same card but treats it as an "unknown device" and won't
detect it as a modem.
If anyone knows where I can find an installation program with drivers for
this make of modem, or how to install it as a modem within the Win95 driver
list , that would be great!

4.  Another device, known as the PCI bridge, is also detected as an unknown
device.  Originally, the USB (Universal Serial Port) support was also
detected as an unkown device, but I located the installation program for it
on the Win95B CD,  But I don't know where to locate the driver for this "PCI
Bridge" whatever it is.  If anyone knows how to successfully install this,
or what the heck it is, that would be great!!

Thanks.

Eddie Apostol
Multimedia Applications Designer, Instructor
mail to:  [log in to unmask]

          PCSOFT:  http://nospin.com  or  [log in to unmask]