Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
Bill Cohane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 Jun 1999 20:27:19 -0400
You wrote:
 >I have two machines, one running Win95 OSR2, the other running Win98.
 >They are networked with D-Link NICs(DE-528CT). All of the protocols
 >are installed correctly -- NetBEUI and TCP/IP are the only two that are
 >required. TCP/IP works fine, I can access the Internet through WinGate
 >with no problems, so the machines are physically connected, but I am
 >unable to browse the network with the Win95 system. When I open Network
 >Neighbourhood, I get Entire Network, but nothing else, or I see both
 >machines, but double clicking on the Win98 system brings up a window
 >called Machine1 and a message "This device is not accessible" with
 >just an OK button. Pushing the OK button closes the window.

Hi Jamie

Why not use TCP/IP as the only protocol? (No need for NetBeui or
IPX/SPX.)

Here is what I would suggest for your Win98 machine's Network
Configuration tab:

Client for Microsoft Networks
Dial-Up Adapter
D-Link DE-528 Ethernet PCI Adapter
TCP/IP -> Dial-Up Adapter
TCP/IP -> D-Link DE-528 Ethernet PCI Adapter
            (IP          192.168. 0 .1)
            (Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0)
File and printer sharing for Microsoft Networks

File and printer sharing button: put in check marks
Primary Network Logon: Client for Microsoft Networks
Access Control tab: check off Share Level
Identification tab: Computer Name: Machine1
                     Workgroup:     Workgroup

Here is what would be in the Win95 machine's Network Configuration:

Client for Microsoft Networks
Dial-Up Adapter
D-Link DE-528 Ethernet PCI Adapter
TCP/IP -> Dial-Up Adapter
TCP/IP -> D-Link DE-528 Ethernet PCI Adapter
          (IP          192.168. 0 .2)
          (Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0)
File and printer sharing for Microsoft Networks

File and printer sharing button: add check marks
Primary Network Logon: Client for Microsoft Networks
Access Control tab: check off Share Level
Identification tab: Machine Name: Machine2
                     Workgroup:    Workgroup

Finally, go to My Computer (in both computers), right click
on each hard drive, choose properties, sharing, and set to
"Shared as" with some name for each drive. Assuming a printer
is already installed to the Win98 machine, go to this machine's
Printers folder and set sharing there in the same way. Install
printer drivers for this printer on the Win95 machine...but
tell Win95 that the printer is a network printer.

This is what I have for my systems (except I use different
NICs and machine names). I'm using Wingate 2 as well.

Regards,
Bill

         The PCSOFT web site always needs good submissions.  If
               software tech tips or software reviews to: