Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
don penlington <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Jan 2002 23:13:10 -0700
Kathy writes:

<<...still getting lock-ups and =
programs not responding along with insufficient memory errors as well as =
a kernel 32 errror from office 97 word.  Tech support has  advised me to =
shut down the computer when quitting a program to ensure that all =
programs "release memory resources to the system"  I would like =
someone's opinion of doing this.>>

That's rubbish. You shouldn't have to do that on any half-way decent
computer. Tech support is copping out.

I don't know what sort of computer you are running or what sort of system
is on it, but in general these problems will occur if you don't follow a
careful procedure after any crash where you have turn the power off with
programs still running.  Too many repeats of this will almost certainly
result in the errors you report.

You should restart in Safe Mode in the event of a major crash (ie with any
major programs open), or at least with Shift key held down to stop any
startup programs from trying to reload.  Any programs which have been
terminated when you power off will leave remnants in all sorts of nasty
places. Restarting in Safe Mode gives Windows a fighting chance to clear
itself of those remnants before opening anything else.  From Safe Mode you
should immediately shut down again in the normal way, then reboot and the
system will (hopefully) be reasonably operative again.

If you don't follow this procedure, the process will feed upon itself,
producing more and more crashes until the whole system is completely unstable.

Maybe you have too many programs running at startup.  This is the root
cause of many computer instabilities.

These are just some general comments, as I don't know anything about your
system or operating methods.  So may or may not be relevant.  Perhaps you
just have a poorly-made or designed computer. Or one with incompatible
components.

If you have had too many crashes, you will probably need to reformat your
hard drive and start all over again.  I assume a reformat was done when
your computer was last serviced.

A new computer should be a thing of joy, not a growling mongrel.

Don Penlington

Free computer tutorials at: http://www.geocities.com/donaldpen/
Also Fractal Galleries,  free icons,  poetry,  and beautiful Queensland beaches.

                   messages? Visit our staff web site:
                    http://freepctech.com/staff.shtml