Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
don penlington <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Nov 2002 21:26:16 +1000
John writes:

<<The browsers have been removed and reinstalled with no success. When
trying to open Communicator, after dialing in, error message "Netscape
is unable to locate the server pacbell.prodigy.net. Please check server
name and try again.">>

This usually means that you are not actually connected---even though there
may be a modem icon showing in the systray.  The modem has failed to "shake
hands" with your ISP and thus the connection is not completed.

Possible remedies are:
1. Leave it for a day or 2---maybe your local branch of the ISP is down for
maintenance or upgrading.
2. Failing that, reinstall Dial-Up-Networking. This can be rather a pig of
a procedure and not at all intuitive. There's a MSKB article on the proper
way to do it, which is VERY involved, but I've found that just going into
Control Panel/Network, deleting all the stuff, and reinstalling from the
Win CD seemed to work. It's a while since I last did this, and seem to
remember that it took several goes to get it right.  You need to remove and
reinstall "Client for Microsoft Networks" for starters.

Make a note first of the protocols that's already installed under Network,
because once you've removed it all, you may not remember what's needed.
That's for W95B, I assume it's similar for 98.

I'd try a registry restoration first, as that's much easier, though less
likely to solve this problem.

3. Possibly a faulty modem or driver. Try reinstalling modem driver if you
have one.

Don Penlington

Free computer tutorials at: http://www.geocities.com/donaldpen/
Also Fractal Galleries,  free icons,  poetry,  and beautiful Queensland beaches.