Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
Drew Dunn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Mar 1998 16:34:55 +0000
The version of Windows 95 isn't the key, it's the power management that
is part of the ATX motherboards that are installed.  Rather than a
mechanical switch to turn the machine on and off, the computer uses a
small momentary contact switch.  A relay on the motherboard activates
the power to the system.  The nice side effect of this is that the
operating system can also send a signal to that relay telling it to
change its state and turn the system off.  All of the systems made by
the major manufacturers have this feature.

An interesting thing about this is that in the early versions of "soft
power", there was no way for the computer to turn back on by itself in
the event of a power failure.  Once the power went off, the computer was
off until the power came back on.  Most of the BIOS manufacturers came
up with a fix after the computer makers logged thousands of complaints
about it.

Drew Dunn