Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Nov 1998 10:43:06 -0800
On  2 Nov 98 at 11:14, Michael Tabak wrote:

> I think this is a software problem:  My SoundBlaster AWE32 does just fine
> with WAV and MIDI files.  But with regular audio CDs, I get almost no
> volume from the right speaker.
>
> The cable seems to be properly seated, and I've tried changing the settings
> in the volume control without any noticeable difference.  I think I've got
> the latest drivers.

  I assume you're talking about the 3- or 4-wire cable from the CD to
the sound card, right?  [If you don't have one, you shouldn't hear
anything from audio CDs except through the headphone jack on the
front of the drive.]

  Can you check that the connector at the SoundBlaster end is wired
the way the card expects?  Most common options are "R G L (G)" and
"R G G L"; where "R" is Right, "G" is Ground, and "L" is Left.
  You should be able to tell how the cable is wired by looking at
where the wires enter the connector.  The ground line will be black
and the stereo channels will be red and white.  Although it's a
4-wire connector, there will often be a single common ground.

  The trickier proposition is to determine what combination of four
pins your sound card wants.  It is probably shown in the manual, and
the information may be available on Creative's website.

  I have, on occasion, been able to use a jeweller's screwdriver to
release the "barb" of a pin and extract it from the cable connector,
and then insert it into the position required by the soundcard.  If
you can't seem to do that, you may need to lay out $3-5 for a new
cable -- make sure you know what connector arrangement you need so
you get the right one.

David G

                                  -----