Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
Alan Guy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Mar 2000 18:33:53 -0500
Well I emailed Aureate Media and asked them why my ZoneAlarm
keeps detecting them trying to aacess my pc when I have Go!Zilla
open - here's their response, 'copied and pasted verbatim:

<begin paste>

Aureate is not contacting your computer, but your computer is
contacting
Aureate.  Advert.dll is contacting our network to pull ads down
into the
software.

If you have any privacy concerns, please read our privacy
statement at
http://www.aureate.com.  Thank you,

Jason Bryan
Go!Zilla - Monster Downloads
http://www.gozilla.com/

<END paste>

I also downloaded "Download Accelerator Plus". It's 'adware',
just like Go!Zilla, and does the EXACT same thing. Though
there's not an 'advert.dll' there's someting that does the EXACT
same thing as 'advert.dll'. Because it's "ADWARE" if one opens
the program, it follows that the program has to contact SOMEBODY
and request to download the ads to be displayed (it's ADWARE,
right?). Then when the software provider tries to send the new
ad to be displayed in the opened adware like Go!Zilla or
Download Accelerator Plus, T-H-A-T-S when Zone Alarm says that
someone is trying to gain access to my pc.

I'm going back to using Go!Zilla. Download Accelerator doesn't
come close (imho). AND I'll simply get a grip on the unwarrated
paranoia. We have to face the fact that if we download an app
for free, but it's "adware" (NOT freeware) then we have to allow
the adds to be fed into the app, unless we can figure out a way
to disable the ad retrieval process in the app, without
crippling the app itself. This though, I believe would violate
the EULA.

I'm still gonna do it - and I'm still going back to Go!Zilla.
With a firewall like ZoneAlarm one can set the permissions for
any particular application - soooooo... Go!Zilla will have my
permission.

In truth, I feel silly now, to have gotten 'caught up' in the
paranoia.

     _-= Alan P. Guy =-_
Do... or do not. There is no 'try'. - Yoda

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                    http://nospin.com/pc/pcsoft.html