Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
"Lance W. Kephart" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Aug 1998 06:14:14 -0700
Hi James,

>On our network here the machines have fixed IP's
>and I was looking for some feedback on how some
>of you guys keep of all the different IP's and be
>able to know which ones were available.  I was
>going to do a speadsheet with excel, but I am
>sure there is a better way we are using
>10.10.x.x, thanks

To be honest, the spreadsheet is basically what
we did.  We went and assigned "blocks" to each
of the departments (10.10.1.x for accounting,
10.10.2.x for IS, etc.) and then numbered
the IP's in sequence for each user (10.10.1.1,
10.10.1.2) in those departments.

This is a bit time consuming at first, but once
you have the spreadsheet done, you can print a
hard copy and refer to it for new machines, or
the moving of machines.

Another option, if you're running NT, is to use
the DHCP Server(sorry, forgot what the letters
stand for right off hand, Dynamic Host something
Protocol..).  What that does is allow you to
automatically assign IP addresses without going
through the headache of tracking them, so to
speak.  You can also assign static IP addresses
that you enter in a list that the DHCP server
will not assign to other units.  Normally, the
static IP addresses would be used by printers and
such.

I wasn't working for this company at the time
they installed the NT servers, otherwise we may
have set up the DHCP server.  I'm hoping to
get them to let me look into it as an option.
The problem with this is that we have 2 physical
locations and about 200 PC's to change over and
update if we did this.

Hope this helps!
Lance Kephart
Kephart's Korner