Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
Dan Shaughnessy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 Jun 1999 23:57:28 -0500
While this statement is true regarding the use of MMX - it is not true
comparing an MMX chip to a non MMX chip of the same speed.  Intel doubled
the L1 cache and also optimized other parts of the chip when the introduced
the MMX line.  Therefore a 200 MHZ MMX chip IS faster for all applications
than a 200 MHZ, non MMX chip.  Was the speed difference worth $100-200 at
the time--maybe, but probably not.  I just don't think it's right to
dismiss the MMX chips as you are doing here.

"Twin*.*Star" wrote:

> I agree whole heatedly! Could not believe the sales pitch places like
> Best Buys when MMX came out and cost $100 to $$200 more just for MMX. I
> kept selling non-MMX CPU until they ran out. Save my customers bundles
> with no disadvantage. Only if the client was a gamer would I suggest it
> and back then it was over 6 months before the first game used it and
> that meant the client had to go out and spend money on the upgrade to
> utilize the MMX.
>
> Marketing hype. Bah. Humbug. (Remember when you were told you had to
> buy a new car every year because it was so much better?)

         The PCSOFT web site always needs good submissions.  If
               software tech tips or software reviews to: