Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
"Barnes, Larry (MCI)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 Apr 1998 15:07:46 -0600
Folk,

Let me understand this:  you're complaining because Windows is using your
system's memory <3K grin!>?!?

People tend to think that RAM and memory usage should exist like a checking
account with a savings account backup, e.g., if you write a cheque for more
than your account holds, it is 'covered' by monies from the savings account.
Basically, we're saying that of, say, 64 meg RAM, 32 will be used and 32
will be held in reserve for 'overdraughts'.

That is not how Windows utilizes memory!!!  When you start Windows, it looks
at your system to see how much memory is available.  It apportions memory as
necessary for programs run at boot-up, then grabs all the rest.  It then
allocates the remaining memory as needed by assigning certain segments when
programs are loaded.  It also recovers allocated memory back into the memory
pool when an application is closed and releases its memory usages.

However, _all_ available memory is shown as 'used' when most memory
management viewing utilities are used.  Isn't this what you want?  What's
the point to having all that RAM available if a significant chunk of it is
left unused.  The thing to do here is to change thought modes from the
'rainy day' or 'nest egg' concept - that works pretty well for money, but
simply does not serve for computers and memory.

Make a good day . . .
                                . . . barn
                                        v772-3928