Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

Date:
Mon, 9 Mar 1998 18:39:49 +0000
> Schroyer, Dale wrote:
> >
> >         Reveal codes is nothing compared to using the little paragraph
> > symbol in word. This does the same function as reveal codes
>

> Sorry Dale but it is -not- ANYthing like reveal codes.  The paragraph
> mark only stores info about the paragraph itself not about individual
> words within the paragraph.

I definately have to agree with Jim on this point. When I first moved
to Word from WordPerfect, the lack of a Reveal Codes was painful.

> To illustrate the point:
> Go in to the middle of a paragraph in a Word document and select
> 2,3, or a dozen words.  Now turn on bold, then turn on underlining,
> now turn off bold, now turn on italics, and then turn off underlining.
>
> ALL those codes are -=STILL=- embedded in the document because you can
> use the undo button to backup through all those changes.  But there is
> NO way to see all the crud that is hidden in there.
>
> In WordPerfect, I can turn on the reveal codes feature and then remove
> all that junk -- or remove some of it and turn other stuff back on.
>
> Does all this make one product better than the other? Not really.
> As I've said before, I think Word is a great office tool for grinding
> out business correspondence.  But WordPerfect is much better suited to
> the needs of a creative person.  It is much easier to design and create
> a stylized restaraunt menu using WP than Word.  And Word is much more
> friendly when it comes to mail merging.

This may seem like a moot point to many, but I would never think of
creating a menu (or newsletter, catalog, etc.) in Word or
WordPerfect. I really believe a creative person would be much happier
with Publisher (for an inexpensive alternative which I find easier to
use and much friendlier) or PageMaker (or one of the other $600+ high
end DTP packages). I once had to do a newsletter with graphics for a
client and just about went crazy trying to do it with Word. I kept
wishing for the ease of use of Publisher. To be honest, I have not
used WordPerfect since before it was sold to Novel, so it may have
changed greatly, but when I used it in my pre-Word days, it was not
much better than Word for mixed text and graphics projects.

> In the long run, I think BOTH products are over-bloated "do-it-all"
> monsters that have more bells and whistles than most of us will ever
> use.

So true! I probably understand less than 50% of what Word can do and
utilize far less on a day to day basis.

> --
> Jim Meagher
> =====
> Micro Solutions Consulting     Member of The HTML Writers Guild
> http://www.ezy.net/~microsol   International Webmasters Association
> =====

Just my humble opinion,

Jim