Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
Lee Greathouse <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Mar 2000 13:22:10 -0500
Answer to:

Date:    Sat, 11 Mar 2000 15:30:19 -0800
From:    Tom Williams <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Software for Converting Scanned Images

I'm looking for some software that will help me with scanned images. I'm =
working strictly with black and white line drawings and I want to be =
able to scan the image then convert it into a format that allows me to =
change it, resize, etc.=20

I like working with MS Paint, but whenever I scan something then convert =
it to Paint, the image is so huge that I can't work with it. Plus it has =
all the jagged edges.

I'm hoping there's an "image converter" that's analogous to OCR for =
scanned text.

IS there such a thing?? Please forward recommendations.

Thanks
Tom

FROM:    Lee Greathouse, manager, documentation, Quansoo Group, Inc., Fairfax, Va.

Tom,
    An inexpensive graphics program called Paint Shop Pro 6 will solve your
problem.  The program has many professional features but costs a fraction of the
price of Adobe Photoshop and other full-blown graphics applications.
    You can download the program from Jasc Software.  A search in any Internet
browser will find it.  Or you can buy it at a local store.  The usual price is
$70-$80, cheaper at big computer shows.
    You can scan your image into Windows Paint, like you do now, and save it as a
file.  Make sure you remember what folder (directory) you put it in and what name
you gave it.  The file name will have the .bmp extension, which stands for bitmap.
    Start Paint Shop Pro.  Do File, Open, and open your file.  Click on View, then
"Normal Viewing (1:1)," and you will see your picture, full size.  Click on Image,
then Resize.  The Resize dialog box will pop up.  Click the little choice divot
beside "Percentage of Original."  Make sure the check box next to "Maintain aspect
ratio of" is checked.  Type any number between 1 and 100 in the Width box under
"Percentage of Original."  If you type 50, your picture will be reduced to half the
size of the original.  Click the OK button.  Your picture will be cut down to size.
If you want to keep the original and your new, smaller image, after you have reduced
the original, click File, Save As, and give your new, smaller file a new name.
    By the way, if you're working with black-and-white drawings, the books say to
use the highest resolution your scanner will apply, up to 600 dots per inch, to
avoid having jagged edges show.  That's why you're getting such large files.
    -- Lee Greathouse

                         PCSOFT's List Owner's:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>
                       Drew Dunn<[log in to unmask]>