Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
A&C Thompson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Jun 2002 01:14:13 -0700
From: "edwhitnall"
Subject: [PCSOFT] Windows ME shut down

> Hi need help,
>

> I'm getting my laptop ready for vacation (a Dell 7000 machine running
> Windows Millennium Edition). I have cleaned up files, updated windows and
> the virus checker and have the firewall working. The problem is that upon
> shut down the machine hangs at the point where the cursor just blinks in the
> upper left hand corner of the screen. A subsequent reboot up requires that
> it run through scandisk.
>

> I've looked in the Microsoft knowledge base, but all I can find is special
> cases where certain software affects the shut down process and nowhere do I
> see where Microsoft has added a patch to correct the problem.
>

> Does anyone know of the location of a patch or information on this subject?
>

> Thanks
>
> Ed Whitnall

-----------------------------------

Ed,

I run Win ME and once had almost the identical problem you have. I did not download or install any patch to solve
the problem. I'm not certain if this is what solved my shutdown problem, but if memory serves correctly, Dr Watson
suggested disabling MMTray, which you'll find on the 'Startup' tab in the 'System Configuration Utility'.

Easiest way to get there is hit Start / Run, then type "msconfig" w/o the quotes. Find the 'Startup' tab, then
scroll through the list to 'MMTray' and uncheck it. I'm pretty sure this is a Win ME issue, but if you don't find
MMTray, then it may be a Hewlett Packard issue. .

Other suggested items to uncheck, while you're there, would include LoadPowerProfile, SchedulingAgent, and anything
that you know you don't use. For example, I have a listing for "MoneyStartup" which I don't use, so I don't want it
you disable. You should recognize most of what is there, but you might want to leave anything you're unsure of.
Remember to 'Apply' or the changes won't stick. If you make changes, you'll get a message box on every reboot
informing you that you're using Configuration Utility to perform a selective startup. There's an option to tell it
to 'shutup already'.

If the above does not help, I recall that Win ME also has a problem with sound files upon exit. If you use a wav
file when exiting Windows, it might interfer with shutdown. To check, go thru control panel / sounds and
multimedia. On the 'Sounds' tab, look for the 'Sounds events' list. Then scroll to 'Exit Windows' and see if
there's a sound associated with it. If so, try selecting 'None' in the name box, and hit 'apply'. Hope this helps
with your problem.

Al Thompson

                     visit our download web page at:
                  http://freepctech.com/downloads.shtml