Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
Byron Wolter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 Jul 2003 11:34:10 -0500
Try reinstalling the video drivers

Byron Wolter

Hi,

I'm hopeful someone can help.  I feel this is a software problem as opposed
to a hardware problem

OS:  WinMe
19 inch Paradise Monitor
Ram:   128 mg

My sister-in-law's computer was working just fine.    She turned on her
scanner and received a message that something was wrong with the
scanner.   (She can't remember the message).    She click out of the
message and when she did the screen resolution and icons became very large.

I tried the following:

FIRST
Right clicked on the Desktop/Properties.
Colors was set at 16 colors--screen area at 640x480
I selected 256 colors and screen resolution of 800x600
I hit APPLY, and immediately a message came saying Windows had to be
restarted.    I did not have the option of hitting OK after the APPLY
button.

Restarted window and settings were back to 16 colors and screen area of
640x480.
Tried various other settings of color and screen area size--with the same
result.   Nothing I selected would stick and I thought it was because I was
not able to hit the OK button also.

SECOND
She has no virus scanner installed.  Ran Norton Online scan and she had
W32Bugbear@mm virus located in Temporary Internet Files/Content IE5.   I
deleted all Temporary Internet Files and offline temp files, cleared
history, deleted all Temp files, all Recent files.    Installed a cookie
manager program and deleted cookies except for a few I recognized as log in
cookies.

Then,  downloaded the W32Bugbear removal tool from Symantec web site,
disabled System Restore.  Rebooted.  Rebooted a second time.    Ran the
BugBear removal tool and it indicated no Bugbear virus was
found.    Rebooted.   Then enabled System Restore and rebooted. Tried
changing resolution/color again with the same result.

3.  Installed Spybot and Ad-Aware and ran both and deleted all the spyware.

4.    Reinstalled Windows over itself through Windows.    Same result when
trying to change color and resolution.

5.    Deleted the monitor under My Computer/Properties Device
Manager.      Rebooted and let Windows find the monitor.    Properties of
Monitor in Device Manger say device is working correctly.     Same
result  when trying to change color and resolution.

I am purchasing Norton AntiVirus for her and will install it, but feel the
machine is probably pretty clean after finding only 1 virus with the online
scanner.

Questions:

1.   Is there a worm or virus of some kind out there I could be
missing.  Or does anyone know of any kind of infection which would cause
this behavior?

2.   I did not mess with the graphics card.   Could corrupted drivers of
the graphic card cause this behavior?

3.    Could the solution be a reformat and reinstallation of all programs?

Any help would be appreciated.

Sue Na

                       Drew Dunn<[log in to unmask]>

                         PCSOFT's List Owner's: