Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Oct 2004 23:48:50 -0700
  System resources on 95/98/ME suffer from two main problems that are fixed
in NT/2K/XP:

1.  The system resource pools are of fixed size; adding more memory doesn't
help.

2.  There is a single set of resource pools which is shared by all
applications.  It is relatively easy for an application to request a
resource, using up space in a pool, and terminate without ever de-allocating
it; that pool space is unavailable to other applications until the next
reboot.

  Every window -- and many display elements such as buttons and text boxes
are actually tiny windows -- uses resource space.  Every font that is used,
each different cursor and icon, etc, etc.  Bigger and richer applications
use more resources.

  Machine capacities and the demands of modern applications are pushing to
the point where I do not recommend installing 98SE on new machines.  If you
are running the latest versions of many applications (so bugs should have
been fixed...), and you're running out of resources, it may be time to
consider the move to XP.

David Gillett

On 27 Oct 2004 at 0:40, sgm77 wrote:

> I'm running Windows 98 SE with 256 RAM memory.  When booting up, System Resources shows as 77% to 80%.  After approximately a half-hour of e-mailing and some Internet surfing, the System Resources drops down to about 50% to 55%.
>
> Checking Ctl/Alt/Del, the programs that are alive on startup are:  Explorer, Zlclient, Ccapp, Starter, and Systray.
>
> Checking msconfig, the programs that are alive on startup are:  ScanRegistry, SystemTray, ccApp, ZoneLabsClient, EnsoniqMixer, QuickTimeTask, ScriptBlocking, ccEvtMgr, TrueVector, and PhotoLoaderSupervisory. (Unchecking PhotoLoaderSupervisory and then rebooting doesn't remove that program from the Task Bar, but will remove EnsoniqMixer and QuickTimeTask).
>
> What can possibly be sucking the System Resources out of the computer and how can I stop it from happening?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Lenny Finkelstein
>
>              Do you want to signoff PCSOFT or just change to
>                     Digest mode - visit our web site:
>                    http://freepctech.com/pcsoft.shtml

              The NOSPIN Group is now accepting donatations
              to continue providing PCSOFT and our website.
           Visit http://freepctech.com to donate using Paypal