Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
Bill Cohane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Aug 2000 01:54:47 -0400
At 22:17 08/15/00, Diana Benoit wrote:
>I have created a new partition equal to slightly more than
>2 1/2 times the amount of ram installed on my computer. I
>went into the "properties" section of "My Computer" and
>then "Performance." I then went into "Virtual Memory" and
>selected to let me specify my own memory settings. Then I
>directed the settings to my new partition and set the
>minimum and maximum to be the same amount of megabytes...
>However, the settings will not stay.  As soon as I click
>on the "OK's" my system goes right back to letting
>Windows manage my virtual memory.

Does Windows ask you to reboot when you close Control
Panel? (It should.) If not, then you didn't click "apply"
or you missed some other simple thing like that.

If you are asked to reboot and Windows is still managing
your virtual memory afterwards, you may have forgotten to
leave enough free room in the partition for Windows'
overhead.

I've found that you need to leave about 20 MB free in the
partition. In other words, if you have a 300 MB partition,
make the swap file 280 MB. (If that doesn't work, try 270
MB.) If you don't leave that 20 MB free, Windows will
ignore your wishes and take over again after you've
rebooted.

Regards,
Bill

                    Digest mode - visit our web site: