Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
A&C Thompson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Jun 2002 14:42:35 -0700
From: "Ian Porter"
Subject: [PCSOFT] XP and AVG AntiVirus

> I'm straying into unfamiliar territory here so perhaps some kind person
> might put me straight.
>
> My experimental install of XP Pro has gone very well - so well I might even
> keep it, instead of waiting for a possible second edition, as I'd promised
> myself.
>
> Anyway, while the spirit of experimentation was on me, I thought I'd try the
> free AntiVirus prog, AVG.
>
> The install of that went extremely well also, these guys are to be
> complimented on the presentation and useability of their program.
>
> However, downloading mail has presented me with a problem. I received 2
> mails which are obviously virus carriers.  I say obviously, because I've
> received dozens in the last few months, and these two fit all the
> parameters.
> Both are carrying attachments - one a pif and a text file, the other a .scr
> and an htm file.
>
> I'd guarantee these are both malicious.
>
> But AVG made not a bleep or a whimper, either when these mails arrived, or
> when I previewed them and their attachments (single click).
>
> Whereas on my other drive, running W98SE and Norton AV2002, I would have got
> a pop-up Norton window immediately the infected mail header downloaded,
> warning me of the bug and prompting for action.
>
> So I'm not sure what to do next.  I ran an AVG scan of the Windows folder
> (as I couldn't find and single out the XP mailbox) and that got a clean bill
> of health.
>
> And I could delete the 2 mails but I'm not going to learn anything that way.
>
> Informed comment would be most welcome.
>
> TIA
>
> Ian Porter
-------------

Ian,

Informed comment? - you decide...

I don't use AVG or XP, but in addition to what others have suggested, I would attempt to SAVE the
attachments. If AVG has a setting to check for viruses on the 'Save' command, (be sure it's enabled)
and if AVG is worthy of its praise, it *should* catch the alleged viruses before Windows tries to
save the attachments. Keep in mind you may get infected trying this method, so it's your call, but I
have saved attachments this way for years without being infected. I use McAfee online and it has
NEVER caught a virus in an email *until* I tried to save the attachment. On the other hand, if AVG
hasn't caught them yet, perhaps they are not infected? Just a thought...

Al Thompson