Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

Date:
Sat, 2 Jun 2001 15:23:37 -0700
  Hmmm.  Missing files sounds, to me, like either a drive/controller
problem or a virus....

> When you say shared folders/printers, what EXACTLY does that mean?

  Under the Network icon in the control panel, you'll find references
to "File/Printer Sharing".  Basically, this means that when a Windows
computer is on a LAN, you can designate printers and folders as
"shared" -- available to users/programs on other computers on the
LAN.
  The software on the other computer does things like ask its OS to
open a file.  The Network Redirector is the piece that steps in and
says "Wait a second!  This file is over on some other computer, so
instead of talking to the file system and drive controller, we need
to talk to the NIC and out across the LAN."  (A component on the
computer that really has the file will receive the LAN request and
talk to its local file system and disk controller....)

David Gillett

On 2 Jun 2001, at 8:14, Paula Houseworth wrote:

> >   "NWREDIR" is the "Network Redirector", an OS component that
> > provides access to shared folders/printers on other machines.  The
> > most obvious .VXD (virtual device driver) for it to be trying to call
> > would be part of your network configuration.  Has anything changed
> > with that recently?
> >*********************************************************************
> No, nothing has changed. This is a new computer and I have had to reload
> Windows three times in the month I have had it. Each time files have been
> missing according to the blue screen that would pop up. The other  times it
> was files that would allow me to run windows that were missing. At that
> point I couldn't even open windows in safe mode. This time at least I could
> get back into Windows.
>
> When you say shared folders/printers, what EXACTLY does that mean?
>
> Paula Houseworth
>
>                          PCSOFT's List Owner's:

                     visit our download web page at:
                  http://freepctech.com/downloads.shtml