Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
John Chin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Aug 1998 17:57:25 -0400
At 08:56 AM 8/3/1998 Gary Perkins wrote:

>I need a better backup solution than Iomega.  So, I would appreciate
>a few recommendations on backup software.
>
>Additionally, what does everyone think of "online" backup services?

Gary:

What are you backing up and why?

If you are backing up data files, I'd recommend you get a
CD-ROM burner. Keep your files in specific directories (say
on a D: drive or logical drive) and copy them to the CDROM.
Cheaper and more reliable than tape, you can archive copies,
use files directly from the CD and restore the files on any PC
with a CD-ROM drive. Use Adaptec Easy CD Creator.

If you are backing up an entire system, I'd recommend you
get a large hard drive and a removable caddy system. Then,
I would clone the drive with XCOPY /r/i/c/h/k/e/y in a DOS
window. Or use Ghost, Drive Copy or some other 3rd party
software. Do this at the end of every business day. In the
case of catastrophic C: drive failure, you can use the backup
drive, and just run with the backup drive after swapping cables
and/or drive select jumpers.

If you are preserving data during continuous use, get a RAID
system.

If you are backing up a network, you'll have to get one of those
huge multi-GB tape machines and use the companion software.

Obviously, the hardware solutions have gotten so inexpensive, I
prefer it over software solutions. Remember to take your data
off-site or store it securely (against fire and theft).

"Online" backup services only make sense if one is unable or
unwilling to backup regularly and remove the media from site.

Regards,

John Chin