Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Jan 2007 14:31:13 -0800
On 31 Dec 2006 at 21:11, Sue Rose wrote:

> Are there any issues with puttin DOS programs on Windows 2000 or on XP
> machines? I had heard that some types of DOS Programs would not run on
> these machines if the program attempted to access hardware.

  Yes, that's correct.  It doesn't stop you "putting" the program files on
the machine, but programs that attempt direct access to protected hardware
will fail/crash when you try to run them.

  (DOS ran in what later CPUs call "real mode" -- on the original 8088 (and
its brother the 8086) that was the only mode available.  While some 32-bit
versions of Windows (95/98/ME) continued to support real mode, versions in
the NT/2K/XP line run DOS programs in "V86" mode, a virtual mode which
applies the same addressing rules as real mode, but is a "protected" mode in
that direct hardware access is virtualized through the Win32 kernel and its
drivers.)

David Gillett

                     visit our download web page at:
                  http://freepctech.com/downloads.shtml