Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
Gary Perkins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Aug 1998 00:41:07 -0700
One quick comment on defrag under FAT32:

I have a 4Gb drive, FAT32, 2 partitions.  I run defrag every night
(automated), and it takes about 7 to 10 minutes.  Keeping in mind that I
download, install, and uninstall quite a lot.

I think that the usual recommendation of once a week, is not often enough.
And, I can see where that could take as much as 30 to 60 minutes.

However, if it is taking hours, depending upon how often you defrag, it
sounds as if something is not quite right.  My brother-in-law made the
switch from NT to Win95, and it took him 6 hours to defrag, but then he'd
had the computer for about 3 years and had never run defrag.

Gary Perkins
Search, Recruitment, Consulting
Phone: (503) 581-2554
Fax: (503) 370-8812

-----Original Message-----
From: PCSOFT - Personal Computer software discussion list
[mailto:[log in to unmask]]On Behalf Of Shyamal Gupta
Sent: Sunday, August 23, 1998 7:22 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [PCSOFT] DAT files

At 04:17 PM 8/23/98 -0500, you wrote:
>I'm running WIN 95 OSR2 using FAT 16.  Any chance I can successfully
>convert to FAT 32 on a 2.1 gig disk?  Thanks for any help you

You can. OSR2 is FAT32 compatible. I think the installation CD has a FAT32
converter.

I converted to FAT32 on 2 1.2 GB hard disks and found I have about 500MB
more disk space !!

Must share one thing about FAT32, though -- the necessary periodical disk
defragmentation on FAT16 used to take me about 30 minutes or so. With
FAT32, defragmentation takes several hours for each hard disk !

Cheers.

Shyamal Gupta
25D, Selimpore Road, Calcutta 700 031. INDIA
Voice/Fax : 91-33-4736164
E-Mail : [log in to unmask]