From:
Mary Wolden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Jun 1999 01:40:16 -0500
> Again, what is happening, is I power up the scanner, wait however long 1-2
> minutes, then boot up. The scanner is not recognized at the scsi scan on
> initial boot. Some time into the boot process the carriage will move about
> two inches, and then I can go into device manager, refresh and there it
is.
> It will be found upon any reboots. Device manager reports that it is
working
> properly. Ok, now on to the test in control panel under HP Scanjet. I make
> it default, run the test, after about 30-45 seconds it reports
> "communication problem, check cables, termination and rerun test" The Desk
> scan program proceeds to hang to which I have to do C-A-D to close the
> program, that happens some of the time. Other times it will close,
followed
> by a message "An error occurred while Windows was working in the control
> panel file C:\Windows\system\HPSCNMGR.dll"
>
> Needless to say I am at a frustrated loss. Is this thing defective??? Or
am
> I missing something?
> I have thought about adding a second Host adapter, such as a 2910 to drive
> the zip and scanner. I used to have a jaz drive connected in this same
> system which worked fine until it croaked.
> Thanks and sorry for being so windy.
> Brad Loomis
> Los Angeles, Ca

I also have a Scanjet 4C scanner on a 2940 UW host adapter.
I used the termination on the scanner and have had no problems with the
scanner.  It is recognized as a  HP C2520A under Imaging Devices by the Win
98 system properties.  According to My book on the 2940UW that if one or
more Fast SCSI devices are connected to the adapter the total length of all
of the cables cannot exceed  9.8 ft.. If no fast devices are connected then
the total cable length cannot exceed 19.7 ft.  I would try using just the
termination on the scanner and see if that works.  I also have the transfer
speed in the SCSI bios set to 10 MBAs per second and it works just fine.

Mary Wolden

                     http://nospin.com/pc/files.html