From:
Howard Rubin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 Aug 2003 09:30:38 -0300
In the not so distant past, there used to be a physical key switch in the
front of our computers to make it safe from non - authorized users.  This
switch was wired with the power wire directly to the motherboard.  Your
wiggling of the wires confirm that these wires may be loose at the  board or
at the front of the machine.  If possible, find a schematic or manual for
your motherboard, and you can find the pins that are responsible for the
keyboard lock problem.  This problems also comes up when the power /keyboard
lock connection is accidentally installed in reverse!  I remember pulling my
hair out on that one!
I hope this helps.
Howard Rubin
The Computer Doctor
Fortaleza, Brazil

RE:  Date:    Wed, 30 Jul 2003 10:52:38 +0200
From:    [log in to unmask]
Subject: Keyboard problem

A friend of mine has a very old DOS PC.  I think it is a 386 cpu, runni=
ng
DOS 6.x.  Floppy drive and he recently installed a stiffy drive in orde=
r to
be able to transport data from one PC to another.  Since the stiffy dri=
ve
was installed, he would often, when booting up, get the following messa=
ge:
"Keyboard is locked.  Unlock it"

We have no idea what to do.  If the PC is switched off, and you fiddle =
with
the cables, it would start up normally.

Any ideas about this problem??

At Neethling