From:
John Morgan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Jan 1999 13:11:20 -0500
Your average manual AB switch box uses a make before break switch.  In other
words, it momentarily shorts pins together before breaking the connection as
you flip the switch.  Over time, these momentary shorts can burn out the port
on the printer.  Electronic auto switching boxes don't have this problem.  Back
in the olden days of the Laserjet I and II, I remember being told HP would void
the warranty of a printer hooked to a manual box, but had no problem with the
electronic ones.