From:
Michael Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Oct 2000 07:55:36 EDT
     Hi Jim,

     All K6-2 CPU's can be "underclocked" to run lower multiplier settings, so
any of the new processors well work as long as the processor voltage settings
a correct.

     But best of all, you get a K6-2 550Mhz (or better yet, a K6-2+) and set
your board multiplier to x2. The CPU reads this as x6 and is now "overclocked"
to 600Mhz! These seem to work quite well. Not bad for a free computer...

     Michael

Jim Danvers <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Hello...

A:  Brand new to this list- 1st posting - HELLO!!
B:  Question about slapping in an AMD cpu on an older shuttle mainboard.

I have a client that I have done some work for in the past who asked me
if was interested in an old machine that she was going to (literally)
throw away.  I accepted and gave it a home.  It has an older Shuttle
"HOT-591P" mainboard in it.  I went to the web site for the mfg of the
board and obtained a .pdf file of the documentation for it - it states
that this board can accept up to 400mhz amd k62 cpu's.  I am having a
tough time finding one this "slow".  :(

Just wondering - anyone know if perhaps the documentation for this board
is simply indicative of the time that it was written (400+ cpu's didn't
exist yet) and that perhaps it ~could~ accept a 500 or faster cpu.  k62
500's are plentiful!

Anyone have any experience or know anything about this particular
board.  I'm figuring that for 50'ish dollars, I can more that triple the
processor speed - and that'd be my total investment into this little
box.  :)

TIA...

                     visit our download web page at:
                     http://nospin.com/pc/files.html