From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Dec 1998 12:06:51 -0800
On  9 Dec 98 at 20:43, Paul Wittry wrote:

> Funniest thing, I sit here looking at four 4Mx9, supposedly 30pin
> SIMMs(I didn't look too close at the time), that I purchased used
> from a dealer of used equipment here in Seattle.  These are not
> 30pin SIMMS, but more in line with what you describe. They're about
> the same size as 30's but have the split, and 32pins to each
> segment. Which makes them 64pin SIMMs. Are you sure that the
> sockets you have in that board aren't 32pins to a side? If they are
> 36pins to a side then they are 72pin.

  Three possibilities spring to mind:

1.  These are 72-pin SIMMs, but non-parity and so the manufacturer
hasn't bothered to provide contacts for the unused pins.  Doesn't
seem very likely, but it's a possibility.

2.  This is somebody's proprietary SIMM-like memory arrangement.
Proprietary memory arrangements are particularly common in laptops,
although I've also seen them in some IBM models....

3.  This might be something like a COAST cache module, which uses
static RAM rather than dynamic -- but I don't think those were ever
made larger than 512K, and they go into a slot that's a bit different
from a SIMM socket.

David G