From:
Kyle Elmblade <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Apr 2000 17:06:17 -0700
Mike,

You are suffering from the convenience of "Power Management".  Chances are
your previous operating system did not know how to take advantage of an ATX
powered system with power management enabled in the BIOS.  With the correct
system settings an ATX system will not need to be manually powered off.
What you are experiencing with the other Win98 systems is either an AT power
supply that does not allow automatic shutdown, or an ATX power supply that
does not have power management enabled in the system BIOS.

You can also shut this feature off within Windows 98, but it is a little
more abstract a process that using the BIOS.  I actually like the feature,
but keep in mind that with power management enabled you usually have
wake-on-lan enabled and wake-on-ring (for the modem) enabled.  This can be a
potential security issue as certain devices that support these options will
allow your system to be powered up remotely.  Have I opened a big enough can
of worms here?  I'll stop for now, but hope this information helps.

Kyle