From:
Carroll Grigsby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Aug 2000 13:16:27 -0400
Richard Hallett wrote:

> New Soyo SY-K7VIA board with 128mb  of PC100 and Athlon 600.  Guide says
> this should run.  Hard disk floppy and cd are connected to the board and of
> course the video card.
>
> When it is asked to boot it does not but gives this message then goes to the
> floppy and asks for a system disk.
>
> What dos "bios check sum error" mean.
>
> Thankyou.
>
> Rick

Rick:
It usually means that there is a problem with the bios chip. I say
"usually" because when my son ran into this a few weeks ago -- we had
just upgraded his system to a TMC A15VG+ motherboard, AMD K6-2-400 chip,
new RAM and other goodies about two months earlier -- it turned out to
be a bad CPU. He took it back to the store, and the tech put in a new
motherboard. Same problem. It turned out that the CPU was bad. New CPU
in old motherboard, and it sprang back to life. One thing that I noticed
was that the Award bios message at boot wasn't the usual one -- it
referred to "BootBIOS", and had a 1998 copyright date. Moral: Don't
always accept the first diagnosis. And keep your receipts.

Carroll Grigsby

                   messages? Visit our staff web site:
                     http://nospin.com/pc/staff.html