Date:
Tue, 8 Jul 2003 22:30:26 -0500
Hi all,

I had previously posted about a screen resolution problem in WinMe.    That
problem has been resolved thanks to this list.    The screen resolution
problem began when my sister-in-law received an initalization error as she
tried to use her scanner  (HP Scan Jet 2200c).

I've tried reinstalling the scanner and have not been successful.

The scanner was deleted in Device Manger, all software removed through
Control Panel/Add Remove Programs.     Rebooted without usb cable or power
cable attached.   I followed the directions that came with the
scanner.  Installed the software, rebooted, connected the scanner and
hardware wizard came up.  When the hardware wizard was looking for the
driver, the driver couldn't be found.     I then tried pointing the wizard
to D:\ drive which is the cd drive.    Driver still could not be found.

I also downloaded the complete file for this scanner from the HP site.   No
scanner was listed in Device Manger.   I uninstalled all the software
again.    Rebooted with scanner unhooked (usb cable and power
cable).  Again the hardware wizard could not find the driver.   I
downloaded the file from this url:

http://h20015.www2.hp.com/en/softwareDownloadIndex.jhtml?reg=&cc=&softitem=sj646en&prodId=hpscanjet228416&lc=en&sw_lang=en&pagetype=software

While I was trying to install with the complete file downloaded from HP's
website, I watched things very closely--everything looked the same as the
orginal cd software on installation.  However, when the driver couldn't be
found by the hardware wizard, I noticed something odd I hadn't noticed
before.  The wizard was looking for a driver for a HP Scanjet 2110c
model.    Of course, that's not the model of the scanner.   I've checked
all the numbers on how to identify a scanner on HP's website...and all the
numbers match from the label.   On the lid of the scanner is:   2200c.  So,
I know the scanner is a 2200c.    Why would the wizard try finding a driver
for a 2110c?

So, I deleted all, etc, and tried installing again from the orginal cd to
look at the message the wizard gave when looking for the driver.   Message
is identical to the message I got when I used the web site software
file.  The wizard is looking for driver for a HP Scanjet 2110c.

I've searched HP's site trying to find a solution and can find nothing.

Does anyone have ANY idea what is going on.     This is the first time I've
ever seen hardware identified wrong by the wizard.   Any help is appreciated.

Sue Na

                         PCBUILD's List Owners:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>
                       Drew Dunn<[log in to unmask]>