From:
Kenneth Whyman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Feb 2009 08:59:39 -0700
The slowdown due to massive amounts of desktop files is due more to how many
icons that Windows has to cache in order to draw the desktop, not the actual
files themselves. Same goes for toolbars on your taskbar like Quick Start.
The more icons the OS has to draw, the more it must store in memory. Not as
slowing as large amounts of startup programs (think icons next to your
clock), but every little bit helps, especially on low-memory machines or
when you need max horsepower for rendering CAD, games, and other intensive
stuff. You can also save yourself a bundle of memory and CPU time if you
switch off some of Windows' candy coated exterior like cursor shadows,
window animations, and the like. Vista is especially hungry when the Areo
interface inhancements are running. Hope this clears this up a bit. :)

Kenneth Whyman
Chance favors the prepared mind.