From:
Thomas Mayer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 May 2006 11:23:44 -0700
Michael

I would first suspect overheating, though you have been inside the case
and would have noticed excessive dust on the fans, heat sinks, and case
filter, if the case has one. Also, you would have noticed if the CPU,
video card and/or power supply fan was not working. Next I would
consider the power supply. 300 watts is on the low end for what you have
and a power supply can give out suddenly.

The 5 second delay on the case power button to turn off the computer is
normal. I believe you can change it in the BIOS if you desire. As you
found, the small green light on the motherboard is always on when the
power supply is on (as differentiated from the computer being on). Lack
of a beep normally indicates that the initial post is not completing.

Unless you are an electrical technician, checking out a power supply
means replacing it with a known good power supply. Since the present 300
Watts is on the low end, I would just purchase a new power supply with
at least a 400 Watt rating. I have found NewEgg.com to have a good
selection of power supplies at reasonable prices. They are a top rated
retailer for service.

Once you replace the power supply, do not be surprised to find other
components that might be bad. I have had two power supplies fry (smoky
electrical smell) on me and take out with them a keyboard, mouse, two
hard drives and one hard drive that had to have the OS reinstalled, and
a CDRW-DVD combo drive. I hope this is not the case with you.

I hope this helps.

Tom Mayer