From:
Eric Greenberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Dec 1998 10:10:16 -0500
At 01:46 PM 12/25/98 -0500, you wrote:
>Eric Greenberg wrote:
>
>> Hi All and a Happy Holidays.
>>
>> My problem:  New system received by client was DOA.
>
><SNIP>
>
>> I cannot boot in to 98 no
>> matter what I do...safe mode/boot disk whatever.  I CAN get to the command
>> prompt and have run all the DOS diagnostics and everything comes up clean.
>>

>Eric,
>
>You didn't say what error comes up when you try to boot., so it will be
>difficult for
>us to give an accurate recommendation.  The more details you provide, the
>better
>our answers will be.

No errors whatsoever.  Just stops dead.

>If you can not boot into safe mode, then chances are pretty good that you will
>need
>to reinstall everything.  If you can boot to DOS, then just copy/zip the data
>files onto a floppy.  Then reformat and reload.

This is what I wound up doing.  He had some large .jpg's so I had to install my
Ditto Max tape drive and run that in DOS mode.  It worked fine but......I
posted a separate message with my current problems.  I re-installed everything
and it still just stops dead when booting into Windows.  Please look for that
post and maybe you can help.  It has all the details.

>One puzzling question though......
>You stated that this was a new system which the client received DOA.
>If that's true, then how did they get data onto it?

Long story, but basically it was originally purchased by someone else who put
data on it for my client.  Then it was shipped to my client.  He let it sit for
about 5 months.  He went to plug it in one and it was dead.  Of course, the
warranty was dead by then also.

>Personally, I would have encouraged him/her to return the system for
>replacement
>since it is brand new.  Now that you have changed parts, the original vendor
>probably
>will not honor a warranty on this system.
>
>--
>Jim Meagher

Believe me, we tried this route first with no success.  Thanks for your help.

Eric

             to be posted to: [log in to unmask]