From:
Diane Duncan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Mar 2004 16:20:07 -0800
This is kind of an addendum to the thread of trying to get a hard drive
recognized in an older pc.

If when I push a key, any key, when the black terminal says no operating
system found, and that error message repeats each time any key is pressed
and the floppy drive light goes on and that floppy drive sound sounds and
the bios is set to auto configuration and I've fiddled with IDE cables and
discovered the layout of the chassis is crucial to doing stuff inside the
box and Scott Mueller's 1300 page tome and cd videos don't help me get this
thing right, and all the help from this list indicates a HD failure, would
you say it'd be prudent to accept that this HD is kaput?

I also have a Pentium box that does work (it's running Win95) and I'd like
to erase the drive and load linux and play.  The box cover doesn't just
come off, so I can't get inside easily to look at stuff.  Should I just
start unscrewing screws to get in there, or is there a better
way?  Actually, if I put the really old HD from the Pentium into the old P2
with the kaput HD, would that work...relatively easily?

Thanks,
Diane

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                          http://freepctech.com