From:
R Paddock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Dec 2000 18:26:59 -0800
I recently received a used computer with its one hard
drive partitioned in two parts. I believe drive C has
always had Windows98 and D had Linux on it.
I know that Linux was removed and D was formated just
before I got it.
It worked fine until I turned it on on day and then my
problem started.
When turned on it shows a Hewlett Packard logo screen,
then screen goes black (normal so far). It then prints
"LI" in upper left and does nothing after that. It
used to print "LILO".

I read in a linux book about start messaages and
errors that 'LILO' means that every part of LILO has
been loaded successfully and 'LI' means "The second
step has been invoked but could not be started.This
can be due to faulty disk geometry or to moving
/boot/boot.b without reinstalling LILO"

Useing a boot disk to get to DOS I have learned D
seems to be OK but C (which contains nearly everything
on the computer) shows one file and no directories.
The file has a name using symbols instead of letters,
is 2.3GB in size, and is dated 00-00-21 1:51am. It
also shows free space of appox 2GB which is about 2GB
short of what it should show.
I can't read anything off of C.
Can someone please give me an idea of what might be
the problem or where to start looking.

                     support at our newest website:
                          http://freepctech.com