From:
John Hornbuckle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 May 1998 07:42:08 -0400
>That is a common misconception but it is not true.
>
>The Windows 95B EULA very clearly states:
>
>     "If the software product is not accompanied
>      by a new computer SYSTEM, you may not use
>      or copy the software product."

   I know it says this, but this isn't really the case. Here's what
Microsoft's OEM site (https://oem.microsoft.com) says about it:

"Microsoft OEM products have special licensing terms, support, and
packaging agreements. OEM products are Microsoft operating systems,
hardware products, and software applications (such as Office 97 Small
Business Edition) shipped with hard drives, motherboards, and bare-bones
and complete systems. In some cases, the products must be preinstalled."

   This leads me to believe that as a Microsoft-authorized OEM I can
legally sell a Microsoft OEM product not only with a complete system, but
also with a hard drive and/or motherboard.
   If anyone has information to the contrary, please let me know. There's a
toll-free number you can call at Microsoft to get your OEM questions
answered, but I can't remember what it is (I'm at home right now, and the
number's at the office).

John Hornbuckle

Phoenix Computer Systems, Inc.
114 West Green Street