From:
Karl Gottshalk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Feb 1999 08:32:40 -0500
This is probably a MFM (not IDE drive), the heads drift over time and the
drive needs to have a low level format to get the tracks underneath where
the heads think they are. I'd look on the site for your controller card and
see if it has info on how to do it with your particular card. You will need
your hard drive parameters also. I have info on several of those cards, so
let me know if you need any more info.

Once you do the low-level format, you can f-disk and format as usual.

I use an older version of PC-Tools that does a LLF on the fly. It reads the
data off of each track, re-low level formats it, and rewrites the data. It
takes overnight, but it very easy.

Karl Gottshalk