From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Dec 1998 10:54:59 -0800
On 15 Dec 98 at 9:39, Lindstrom, Rick wrote:

> I've got a question regarding installing a second hard drive into a machine
> that I just built:
>
> The drive in the machine is formatted as c:, d:, and e: with c: as the
> active partition and Win95 installed.
>
> The second drive is formatted the same way, also with c: as the active
> partition and Win95. I'd like to attach it as the primary slave to the
> first drive in order to copy off some data prior to wiping Win95 from it
> and reformatting the c: and d: drives (on the second HD).
>
> The question is: what will happen if I merely attach the second HD as a
> slave and attempt to boot the machine? Will the fact that each disk has an
> active partition cause problems? If so, is there a way to "deactivate" the
> active partition on the second drive?

  No, the fact that a partition is set "active" only matters on the
first drive.  The boot ROM won't even look at the second drive,
unless you've played games with the boot order in CMOS.

> Also, how will the various partitions show up under Windows Explorer? I
> seem to recall that the first partion on each drive will be listed first
> and second, followed by the logical drives from the first HD, then the
> logical drives from the second HD. Is this correct?

  The first primary partitions on each disk will be assigned letters,
then logical volumes inside extended partitions, and finally any
other primary partitions whose format the OS can deal with.

C1  ->  C
C2  ->  D
D1  ->  E
E1  ->  F