Date:
Wed, 19 Nov 2003 19:18:40 +1100
Ian, you should be making the new primary partition to be at least the size
of your cloned primary or even a little larger. The image will be made to
use the full size the new partition. Either that or partition the old hard
drive to accommodate the new 8Gb partition.

Cheers,

Alan Priol.

I'm having problems trying to set up a new 120Gb hard drive, with three
partitions, in my XP Pro machine.

The plan is to clone my existing 20Gb C drive as the boot partition of the
new drive, so that my old system would be transferred to a new drive with
two other empty partitions ready for storage.

This method might sound ambitious, but I've carried out similar processes
many times before, using Casper XP, a drive cloning utility from the same
stable as Drive2Drive (for Win98).  When cloning single partition drives,
the process works perfectly, as Casper resizes partitions to fit the
available space, in either direction.

My existing 20Gb drive is about 3 months old.  Both drives are modern
Western Digital 7200 rpm models.

First I connected the new drive to the system as a slave and used XP's Disk
Management to partition and format it.
Then I created and formatted 3 partitions on the new drive - a primary
partition of 8Gb, a second of 10GB and the third partition taking up the
balance of 102Gb.  (These sizes are nominal of course - the true size of a
120Gb drive is just over 114Gb)

My existing 20Gb drive has one partition, containing around 5Gb of data (all
my other data is stored on two USB drives).  In theory Casper should have
been able to resize this partition to fit into the new 8Gb slot - as I said,
it only contains 5Gb of data anyway.

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                          http://freepctech.com