From:
Tom Turak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Mar 1998 17:24:17 -0500
Ron,
SOCKET 7 is the ZIF (zero insertion force) socket on the motherboard that
takes a Pentium or Pentium MMX cpu.  A 486 motherboard had SOCKET 3, early
Pentiums used SOCKET 5,  Pentium Pro motherboards are SOCKET 8, and Pentium
II motherboards are SLOT 1.  This was all decided by Intel choosing the
number of pins to put on the bottom of a cpu, or in the case of Pentium II,
abandoning pins altogether in favor of an "edge" type connector.
Tom Turak

From:   Ron Taylor

I have been reading PC-Build, PC-Soft, and VPlanets lists with interest for
about a month now and even asked a few questions most of which were
answered.  I have answer several questions to the best of my ability.   I
read several times about terms which I don't understand.  One of them is
'SOCKET 7'.  What is SOCKET 7?
Ron