From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Sep 2005 00:25:33 -0700
On 7 Sep 2005 at 13:49, Peter wrote:

> Although it is a bit of a waste of the router, you may use the old router as
> a switch (smart hub). Just connect the modem side of the old router via
> standard cable to one of the ports of the new router.

  In another message, I suggested this, but specified use of a crossover
cable.  That was incorrect; Peter is correct that this approach would use a
regular cable.

> Alternately, you can use a crossover cable to connect the old router
> computer port to a port on the new router. The advantage of the first
> method is that you don't lose a computer port on the old router. The
> disadvantage is that the old router is doing its routing stuff and
> possibly filtering your local network traffic. Should not be a problem,
> though.
>
> Oh, yes the first method will likely result in different networks on your
> system, but the old router will take care of allowing communications between
> the two.

  Unfortunately no, it won't.  First of all, the LAN side of the new router
will need to be configured to use a different network address block.  And
then the old router will need to be told that this new block is reached via
the WAN address of the second router.  Neither of these things will happen
automatically with consumer-grade equipment.

David Gillett

                     support at our newest website:
                          http://freepctech.com