From:
Tom Turak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Apr 2002 14:27:10 -0400
While the mentioned site does claim that the /U switch overwrites the drive,
this is not correct.  Originally, /U (unconditional) formatting meant that
the old version 5 and version 6 dos command 'unformat' would not work to
recover the drive.  As 'unformat' is no longer supported in version 7 of
dos, the command is redundant, all formats are now unconditional.  I am not
too familiar with the process, but I think an unconditional format in dos
version 6 prevented format from writing a block of data that the unformat
command could then use to perform its magic.  I think format /u also
overwrote cetain directory structures on the drive, making a FILE SYSTEM
recovery problematic.  However, the data area of the drive was intact and
could be read, only the beginning and end markers for the files were lost.
Regardless of how accurately I recall the details, format /u will not
securely overwrite a drive.
Tom Turak