From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Mar 2004 06:26:25 -0800
  Can you get to a command prompt, run "ipconfig /all >temp.txt", and send
us the temp.txt file that results (paste it into the message body)?  That
will help us see if the connection is functioning and you're getting a valid
IP address and DNS settings.  If those are okay, we can have you try "ping"
to establish network connectivity/reachability.  Once all of those check
out, then we're ready to consider whether it could be a problem with IE
itself.

David Gillett

On 14 Mar 2004 at 15:44, bobwarasila wrote:

> I tested my networking connection with a direct connection to my cable modem
> (bypassed the router) and still can't get Explorer to connect to the outside
> world.  The device manager says the NIC is OK and "functioning properly".
> Is there some other way I can test functionality?
>
> Bob Warasila
>

> >   Whenever you install or change NIC drivers, Win98SE assumes that you
> also
> > need to install networking support files (from the OS CD).  After the
> first
> > time, it's probably wrong about that, but at least the first time, if
> > they're not where it looks for them by default, you need to navigate
> around
> > on the CD until it finds them.  (The situation is a little analogous to
> the
> > early days with CD-ROM drives, where you needed both a drive-specific low-
> > level driver, and an upper-level driver that added CD-ROM support to the
> OS,
> > but in this case it's the NIC driver and networking support.)
>
>          PCBUILD maintains hundreds of useful files for download

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                   http://freepctech.com/pcbuild.shtml