From:
Max Timchenko <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Feb 1999 11:34:59 +0200
This problem is common with a majority of the CD-ROMs, who close
their trays on power-up. You should NOT open the tray after the power-up
at least until your OS had loaded.

Advice: if you did open the tray and it starts to closing - hold it and
remove the disk. Swift action can save it. Don't worry - it won't do
any damage to the motor (it didn't to my cd-rom, at least...)

Earl Truss wrote:

> Just for information:  I had a similar problem once.  I rebooted a PC then
> remembered I had a CD in the drive that I wanted to remove.  I hit the
> eject button, the door opened and I started to pick up the CD.  Just then,
> the CD drive was reset by the system restarting and the door shut again,
> clamping down on the CD which was only half-way out of the drive,
> scratching it badly.

                            The NOSPIN Group
                            http://nospin.com