From:
"Changhsu P. Liu" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Oct 1999 16:14:14 -0400
Greetings,
I have a cable modem connection recently, and I use a barebone hub (5-port,
$30) to connect between a PC and a Mac. Ethernet cards on both machine are
just 10-baseT (not 10/100mb cards). When copying files between 2 machines,
it can only copy files at around 550k/sec.

Is it a little too slow for my setup? I heard from my colleage that his
file transfer speed between 2 PCs is over 1MB/sec.

Does the quality of hub affect speed?

Since my cable modem connection is also connected thru the hub, will a
better hub increase my connection speed?

For cable modem connection, should I go for 10/100mb ethernet cards? or
10-baseT has big enough bandwidth for cable??

I read in another thread that PCI cards dramatically increases data
transfer speeds and performance. Does anyone has a number to support this.
I also read it somewhere that ISA cards would use more system resource than
PCI. So, maybe I should buy a cheap PCI card for my PCs!? What
manufacturers do you guys recommend?

Thanks for the information,

Changhsu Liu

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,