Date:
Sun, 20 Dec 1998 22:09:32 -0800
Ron Bain wrote:

> Three questions:
>         Advantage of a 36 bit scanner over a 30 bit scanner when running
> windows
> 98?
>         Recommention for a scanner under $200.00.
>         Is the Artec ViewStation AM12E a good scanner to buy?

When I bought my scanner 9 months ago, 36 bit scanners were just
becoming available (and very costly) so I went the 30 bit route with a
UMAX 1200S (I wanted a SCSI port rather that a parallel port).  Now a
days they even have USB port (not recommended by several mag opinion
writers - your decision).  Anyway, the main drawback was most software
didn't support 36 bit so it was a case of the cart before the horse.  If
you have 36 bit support software, and the price is right, then go for
it.

As for a model, do your research.  Look up reviews in on-line mags.  I
ran the gamut of them (even asked this list but received little help
here) and then decided.  Even waited two more months because of what
salesmen were saying and got my scanner at $50 less than the previous
going rate.
--
Jean Bourvic :>))

                     http://nospin.com/pc/files.html