From:
Mike Whalen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Jun 2002 09:40:33 -0400
>Could the "physical
>address" be the same as "mac address" of the network
>card?

The Physical Address is the Mac Address is the Hardware Address is
the NIC Address. I've heard people use all these terms
interchangeably.

It should look something like this:

00-D0-B7-88-AF-E1

>My second question: If I got the mac address of all
>the network cards on the network, can I do this:
>configure the servers to give access ONLY to the
>network cards on my network and to deny access to
>netwerk cards that do not have a origin in my network,
>like a laptop that are not in use in the company.

You want to implicitly allow access to the server ONLY those MAC
addresses you know. (You do realize that if someone commandeers the
NIC(s) in question, they then have access to the server, right?)

I wish I knew. This is a neat question.

I know you can MONITOR based on MAC address, but to allow/deny access
I'm not sure.

--

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                   http://freepctech.com/pcbuild.shtml